PDA

View Full Version : Gloves for gun cleaning

madkiwi
June 12, 2002, 12:44 PM
I was going to buy some throw away gloves for cleaning, and had some thoughts, need to get some clarification.

I am going to assume that Nitrile gloves would be the way to go (chemically resistant), and powder-free (talcum powder can't be good for firearms).

Somehow I have gotten on the mailing list for Masune First Aid and Safety, (www.masune.com) and they have Kimberly-Clark Safeskin @$14.95 per 100, Best N-Dex @$25.50 per 100, Ansell Micro-Touch @$14.95 per 100.

Anyone have any preferences or negative experiences with any of these?

Madkiwi

Ledbetter
June 12, 2002, 12:56 PM
I use the blue nitrile gloves used by mechanics. I don't remember how much I pay, but it should be less, since they aren't sterilized. I got the last batch at NAPA auto parts.

Don't get them too big.

Good luck.

BenW
June 12, 2002, 01:20 PM
Try http://www.lindensafety.com

I also get my shooting glasses through them. Lots cheaper than the shooting catalogs.

Spackler
June 12, 2002, 03:21 PM
Buy the cheapest you can get. If they are all nitrile, chem. compat. is the same for all of them. Get the correct size, because if they are too small they will rip easily or be very uncomfortable.

Try also:

www.labsafety.com

johnwill
June 12, 2002, 03:24 PM
Sure, but how do you know what size to order the first time? :)

Ledbetter
June 12, 2002, 07:27 PM
You look like a size large.

:D

I crack myself up.

:p

swatman
June 16, 2002, 11:43 AM
I never used gloves, never even thought about it :eek:

FPrice
June 16, 2002, 11:54 AM
What is Nitrile? Is it a rubber-like substance or fabric like cotton?

eel
June 17, 2002, 07:54 AM
I've been using powderless latex, which are pretty resistant to MPro7 and Militec. Cheap from the local RiteAid.

Nitrile are supposed to be less allergy problems and more chemically inert, I've heard.

BenW
June 17, 2002, 08:47 AM
Nitrile gloves are also a bit stronger (until they rip). Nitrile gloves always make it through an entire lube/oil change session on my vehicles. I've never had the latex gloves survive all the way through. For the extra buck per 100, they're worth it IMHO.

Ledbetter
June 17, 2002, 12:04 PM
Nitrile is also more impervious than latex to chemicals, especially solvents. That's one reason mechanics usually use them instead of latex.

The "sheet" for Stoddard's Solvent (Varsol, paint thinner) specifies that nitrile gloves are recommended.

Ledbetter

FPrice
June 17, 2002, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the info guys!