PDA

View Full Version : M1A doesnt want to extract

psssniper
June 1, 2002, 04:22 PM
I have a fairly new scout, put about 300 rounds thru and now it wont extract, and the case rim gets gouged up pretty good. It is possible to remove the case with just a little prying with a leatherman, so its not stuck real bad so what gives? Is the extractor bad? dirty? Thsnks
paul

Fatelvis
June 1, 2002, 04:45 PM
First, are you sure the chamber is clean? If not, use the racheted GI chamber cleaner, and scrub it out good. Also, if you`re using handloads, make sure they`re not too hot. Clean your boltface good, use a toothbrush to get under the extractor thoroughly. Just trying to eliminate some possibilities, before assuming a mechanical failure. Good luck-

psssniper
June 1, 2002, 07:38 PM
Sir Yessir!! Ammo was switched from Israeli to S. African and then the trouble started. After the first stoppage, the chamber was cleaned, bolt face scrubbed, brush taken to extractor nooks and cranies. The S. African worked just fine in my friends scout, I used my mags and ammo in his after mine stopped. Could it be the S. african?? Thanks again
paul

James K
June 1, 2002, 10:36 PM
South African cases stuck in the chamber of my FAL until I polished the chamber. The ammo worked OK in my M1A, but apparently the cases are a bit soft. This can cause a problem if there is any roughness in the chamber for the brass to wrap itself around.

Even though the South African stuff works now, I won't be getting any more. I don't like any gun or ammo that gives me problems.

Jim

psssniper
June 2, 2002, 12:32 AM
I ran the end of a cleaning rod gently along the sides of the chamber feeling for roughness but didnt find anything noticable.
How do I polish the chamber?With a Dremel?

Fatelvis
June 2, 2002, 01:30 PM
NO, keep the Dremel away from the rifle. Most likely you have a chrome lined bore, and you`ll do more harm than good. The chrome lining should add to the ease of exraction and cleaning. I would try different ammo. J Keenan may be right, soft brass may be the problem. Good luck.

James K
June 2, 2002, 08:49 PM
The roughness I am talking about could not be felt that way.

FWIW, I polished the FAL chamber with 600 grit paper in a slotted cleaning rod tip with two rod sections (M10 rod). Used a regular hand drill for power. You can't go too far wrong with that grit, but some little practice is helpful. But definitetly not recommended for chrome chambers.

My best advice is one you have undoubtedly figured out for yourself. Switch back to ammo that works. If you have only a little of the other, your friend can use it. If you are stuck with a lot of it, there is always sell, trade, or give away.

(This, BTW, is one good reason NOT to buy some huge quantity of ammo just because it is cheap at the time. Order a hundred rounds or so and try it before finding yourself with a semi trailer load of something that won't work.)

Jim