PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody sell bare Tritium insert tubes for homebrew projects?

Jim March
May 28, 2002, 05:51 AM
c title...I need the lamp tubes, and if they're separate, the little glass "windows" used at the front. Best case, the entire lamp/glass assembly is one complete unit, all you have to do is drill the right size and depth of hole, put some epoxy in the hole, then shove the lamp in.

I'm looking for three lamps maximum.

Any sources?

George Stringer
May 28, 2002, 06:46 AM
Jim, there are a couple of companies who will install the tubes in your sights but I think shipping restrictions will keep them from selling them to you. You might contact PT Nightsights at http://www.ptnightsights.com/. George

Badger Arms
May 28, 2002, 11:41 PM
any other sources you know about?

Mikey
May 29, 2002, 06:18 AM
I have no confirmation from a government source but I've been told that the lamps are NRC regulated nuclear material. This would mean that those companies that install them must be licensed and inspected by the NRC. This would preclude a citizen from obtaining the vials before they are incorporated into a product. It would also mean that they should be sent to the manufacturer for repair or disposal.

Mike

George Stringer
May 29, 2002, 07:44 AM
Badger, I think MMC will do this also. http://www.mmcsight.com/ George

Badger Arms
May 29, 2002, 11:06 PM
Thanks, George. Here's their reply:
If I understand your question correctly, you are wanting someone to replace
the existing tritium in your S&W sights. If so, the only company that can
legally do that would be the original trituim installer, as tritium is
regulated by the NRC, and regulations on trituim installations require that
only the original installer replace the lamps on sights.
MMC does make an adjustable sight that will fit the factory dovetails on
these guns that have factory fixed sights.
If you have factory tritium sights, and need to have the tritium in them
replaced, you should contact whomever did the initial tritium installations.
The sight should be branded somewhere with the installer's insignia.
Beth McCauley
Miniature Machine Corporation
5050 E Belknap St
Haltom City, TX
1-800-998-7483 ext 1203

Looks as if I'll have to contact S&W's owner of the month to see if they can replace these for me. If the cost is outrageous, I might just settle for the MMC but adjustable sights are expensive on the aftermarket, I'd imagine.