PDA

View Full Version : JMB's patents; questions.

twoblink
May 21, 2002, 04:47 PM
The gun industry seems to be one that is pretty minimal on the patents and the intrusion and counter-suing of each other.

I was wondering about patents to stuff regarding designs my John Moss Browning. I know patents last 100 years or something rediculous like that, and then afterwards, they are public. Can they renew it?

I'm looking to study and hopefully design a gun based on the JMB's design of the bottom eject shotguns, like the Ithaca/BPS.

Where can I find original patents/diagrams etc.. and what's the legal stance on most of that stuff?

Thanks in advance.
Albert

C.R.Sam
May 21, 2002, 06:24 PM
Patent protection lasts for less than 20 years.

However, if your design is based on previous works, patented or not, only the portions of your design which are unique can be patented.

Patents, including specs and drawings, may be obtained from the U.S.Patent office. Sometimes available online.

Sam....it's Moses, not Moss.:D

Badger Arms
May 22, 2002, 12:00 AM
The Ithaca 37 is a direct copy and adaptation of the Remington Model 17 which was built on the Browning Patent. It expired right when Ithaca introduced their Gun. Remington wasn't exploiting the patent... QUITE OBVIOUSLY.

US Patent Office Online Database (http://www.uspto.gov/patft/)

Badger Arms
May 22, 2002, 12:12 AM
BTW, it's patent # 1,143,170 when you figure out how to use the patent office database. You have to install a TIFF viewer to get it to work right. Interesting read. Also try 1,317,988 if you have a few hours to kill. John Pederson was second to Browning in genious IMHO.