PDA

View Full Version : 870 Youth Express Ejector Spring

frontlander
May 18, 2002, 10:50 AM
I purchased a used but nearly new 870 Youth Express 20 gauge for my wife yesterday. It came with IC and Modified Remchokes. What a great little gun, and only $195. Upon comparison to my 12 gauge 870s, I noticed that this YE 20 gauge is missing the leaf spring type ejector that my 12 gauges have. The gun feeds and ejects ammo normally. Is this standard for 20 gauge 870s?

frontlander
May 18, 2002, 11:50 AM
I just read my manual and it looks like the ejector spring is only found on the 12 gauge models. Remington knows best but why is this the case? Is it because the 12 gauge round is larger and heavier and needs a little extra boost to eject it from the chamber?

Al Thompson
May 18, 2002, 01:09 PM
LOL - your not supposed to answer your own posts!

As the gun works fine, I suspect that you have the answer. One of those critters is on my list of wants. That is a great price by the way.

Giz

Dave McC
May 18, 2002, 04:07 PM
Same thing with the one I got for the kids. No probs...

One thing,the 20 gauge YE may be the best gun for the money when it comes to a light upland gun. The 12 gauge Ithaca 37 is about the same weight, but costs several hundred more.

frontlander
May 18, 2002, 08:05 PM
It is indeed a well balanced, lightning fast little number. My wife, who had never before fired at a clay pigeon, broke 8 of 10 straight away clays. I read as much as I could from the archives about gun fit, proper mounting, and recoil control and it worked marvelously. She was shooting high at first when shooting at the patterning board, but that was from not "scrunching" her cheek down onto the stock. After I explained to her about her eye being the rear sight and what the proper sight picture should be she started hitting right on with a little over half of the pattern hitting above the aim point. Then we decided to try some clays. I told her to quit shooting when she felt even the slightest bit of discomfort in her shoulder. This happened to occur on the 10th clay thrown so we quit while everyone was happy. I think as her arm strength increases she will be able to pull the gun tighter into her shoulder, thus mitigating the effects of the recoil. She also said that she felt her concentration on form fall apart when she started focussing on the bird but thought that this could be fixed with practice. She had a blast and definitely wants to try it again. She even is getting excited about pheasant season.

Dave McC
May 19, 2002, 07:41 AM
Good for her. I suggest you research the Archives on shotguns for women and kick control. Use 7/8 oz loads and keep the range sessions short like you did. Good luck...

9mmMike
June 5, 2002, 10:43 PM
I just bought a police trade-in 12 gauge and it is also sans-ejector spring.
So I do not think this is a 20 GA thing.
Mine also seems to feed and eject just fine but I have yet to take 'er for a test run.
This is an early Express model.
Mike

labgrade
June 6, 2002, 09:40 AM
We've a couple of those YE 20s & they're a fine shooter.

Depending on your Wife's stature, you may want to shim the top of the receiver/stock fit just a tad. It brings the rib down some so she doesn't have to scrunch up so much - depends.

My (The) Wife's 5' even & actually, the stock's just a tad long for her. However, me at 5'17" I had to shim the top receiver/stock interface about .030" to bring the rib down to where it fits for me. I was shooting way high unless really scrunched into it.

Unloosen the stock screw a bit & drop in a folded over match book cover at the top interface & retighten. Makes a huge difference with zip $ expendature.

Just a thought for a quick fix, if needed.