PDA

View Full Version : Removeing Chrome from handgun

dewey
May 9, 2002, 07:32 PM
I need to have a brushed chrome re'finish removed from a S&W and was wondering what the options are. A dark blue/black finish will then be applied. If anyone can reccomend some shops to have it done I'd appreciate it.
Thanks....dewey

James K
May 9, 2002, 09:33 PM
Check with plating shops. Plating can normally be removed by reversing the electroplating process. Note though that since plating takes space (much more than bluing), parts had to be fitted to allow for the plating, so without the plating, parts may be loose or show gaps that were not there before.

Many plating shops will do this, but check first to see if they can do it and if they will work on a gun. They are not gun shops, so don't just waltz in with a gun. Even if they will tackle the job, they will probably require you to disassemble/reassemble the gun yourself and take responsbility for any breakage, etc.

If you want a black finish, you might discuss "black chrome", a process I know very little about but which gives a beautiful black color and would eliminate the fitting problem, since a new chrome surface would be applied.

Jim

railroader
May 9, 2002, 11:14 PM
I called a couple of shops that specialize in guns the other day to get a price on having hardchrome removed from a slide. One quoted me $75, the other $80. I didn't realize it would cost that much. Mark

dewey
May 10, 2002, 05:06 AM
As far as the finial finsih goes, I meant to say a dark BLUE one hopefully similar to the original. ( I have a few sideplates...guess I need to locate some others just in case ! ) THANKS....dewey

James K
May 11, 2002, 10:10 PM
The $75-80 sounds about right and it doesn't matter too much if there is one piece or several; the price can vary from shop to shop. The only other alternative is to have the finish buffed off and that is iffy. Chrome is hard and it is pretty easy to cut too deep and end up with a gun that looks like heck, all rounded corners and blurred markings. Unless the chrome is really bad and chipping, I would leave it alone and live with it, or trade the gun on a blued one.

BTW, I don't think S&W ever chromed their guns. Could it have been plated by someone else or could the finish be nickel? Nickel is a bit easier to remove.

Jim

dewey
May 11, 2002, 10:25 PM
It's aftermarket chrome and it NEEDS to be blue ! best...dewey

C.R.Sam
May 11, 2002, 11:22 PM
When electroplating or deplating, hydrogen embrittlement should be considered. Choose your plater carefully.

What is the gun Dewey ? Curious.

Sam

WESHOOT2
May 12, 2002, 07:49 AM
Accurate Plating & Weaponry

www.apwcogan.com