PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Sight Question

ammo dave
May 8, 2002, 02:28 PM
I originally posted a similar question on the handgun forum but didn't get much response. Question: When installing new sights on a general purpose handgun is there a general rule of thumb as to what the relationship between the front blade width and the width of the rear notch should be? For example, assuming a 5 1/2" sight radius and a .130" wide front blade, what would be the ideal width for the rear notch on a semi-auto used primarily for short range defense?

johnwill
May 8, 2002, 03:36 PM
I think this is mostly a matter of taste, I've heard opinions all over the map on this topic. I'd make the sights conform to what you find easiest to shoot with, it's your gun. :)

C.R.Sam
May 8, 2002, 05:59 PM
Johnwill is right.

Also remember that sight radius affects the perceived width of a front sight. What seems right on somebody else's 4 incher may be too wide for your 6 incher. (speakin rear notch here).

With a given width of front sight, and a fixed distance from eye to rear sight, the amount of light showing on each side between front and rear sights will vary with the distance between the sights.

Sam

saands
May 9, 2002, 04:16 PM
C.R.Sam is on the money ... and if you read into the "fixed distance to the rear sight" comment then it gets even more personal! The relationship depends heavily on how far the rear sight is from your eyes. This, of course depends on your stance and habits ... it's completely personal!
Saands

dewey
May 9, 2002, 07:29 PM
The sight picture on my High Standard Citation is superb,although the rear sight notch is QUITE a bit wider than my S&W target guns. As I get older the fuzzys set in quickly and the extra light on the HS is a big plus.best....dewey