PDA

View Full Version : How does one repair stainless matte finish?

Thegman
May 1, 2002, 12:21 AM
I have a couple of S&W pistols that have some "scuffing" or marring on the matte part of their finish. They're not scratched, just shiny spots on the matte areas from being shipped with loose mags.

Can this be easily repaired, or repaired at all?

Thanks

Dfariswheel
May 1, 2002, 01:18 AM
A good method is to get some synthetic polishing/sanding pads at the hardware store. I also use the green pads from the grocery store. Using these you can restore the grain finish.

If using the green pads, rub gently since these are slightly too coarse. I usually use the brown pads from the sandpaper dept at Lowe's.

Brownell's does/did sell a set of pads that matched Colt and S&W factory finishes.

Thegman
May 1, 2002, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the tip Dfariswheel,

I actually have a couple types of those pads (coarse and fine) for wood finishing, I'll give the fine white pad a try.

DeBee
May 2, 2002, 09:27 PM
Yes, they are called 3M ScotchBrite Pads and they are outstanding for finishing both wood and metal...

If you really look hard, you can get them in various grades- grey, green, brown, maroon are the most common 'grits'. White is more for cleaning the kitchen and probably won't bite stainless- Try the grey pad first.

If you are brave, you can cut a couple of 1" square pieces and put them on a mandrel in a handpiece or Dremel run on low speed- you'll get a beautiful even matte finish in little time on stainless and chrome moly...

Other than that, you're looking at a bead blast refinish.

Thegman
May 3, 2002, 10:59 AM
I tried the white and grey pads I had, with synthetic oil, works very well, but white was a bit too shiny. Then I went one better. I had some grey pads for a detail sander. I put a couple of drops on the surface to be cleaned and went to work. This is faster and makes it a little easier to leave no pattern trace, which had rubbing tends to do.

Thanks for the advice guys!

4V50 Gary
May 8, 2002, 10:26 AM
S&W and Ruger both tumble finish their guns in huge tumblers that approach the size of a jacuzzi. Guns are placed into the vat and the guns are tumbled at a slow but constant rate. S&W allowed us to each take home a stone as a souvenir. I bought a S&W pin which I glued onto the stone.

swampgator
May 8, 2002, 11:08 PM
What kind and how big were the stones they used?

4V50 Gary
May 9, 2002, 10:11 AM
The S&W stone I brought home is cylindrical. However, it has a 35 degree cut such that if set on its side, it would form a triangle. There are no sharp edges on the stone. The S&W pin is mounted on that cut and it makes a pretty display. Its base would be slightly over 1" and the angled cut is somewhat longer.

Regarding Ruger, I apologize but don't recall the stone size.

Denny
May 9, 2002, 03:03 PM
Dude go to www.brownells.com and look at blending cloths. There are different grits that you can use on a stainless gun to restore it. I also for a matte finish sand blast them of course after disassembling Good luck