PDA

View Full Version : More newbie questions...

BrianF-Jax
June 21, 2000, 11:39 PM
I should have my 870 soon enough, and I'm probably going to hit a local indoor range, as well as an outdoor range.

I'm going to get an 870 Express Super Magnum with a 26" bbl. What kind of cartridge will be good for getting used to the gun? I was a wee child last time I fired a shotgun, so this may as well be the first time.

Should I use a different cartridge for indoor and outdoor? Is there a limit on what carts to use indoors?

Don't worry, while I'm there I'll be asking about classes. :) Once I get used to it, I'm going to look into shooting some clays, looks like a blast.

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

-Brian

Dave McC
June 22, 2000, 06:06 AM
Enjoy your new purchase,Brian. Here's a bit of advice.

While that thing's capable of firing heavy loads, the best load for you is the lightest one you can find.3 dram,1 oz loads are better for learning than the barnburners,less kick and less cost,usually.

And, have someone that knows what they're doing show you proper form BEFORE you fire off that first shot. A flinch can be built in the first box of shells, so it's a good idea to not let one get started.

jthuang
June 22, 2000, 08:41 AM
Your indoor range will be the determining factor in what loads you can and cannot shoot on their range. For example, at Targetmaster's, in Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania, you can shoot birdshot but no slugs or buckshot. So the only shotgunners you see are those practicing for turkey season (for which your new 870 with that 3.5" chamber is especially well suited).

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

Art Eatman
June 22, 2000, 08:01 PM
Yeah, generally, start out with the cheapest and lightest loads. You're in the stage of learning what patterns best, what chokes to use, all that. Don't be too eager to buy "hot stuff" until, little by little, you break yourself in.

Have fun, Art

Eric of IN
June 23, 2000, 07:47 AM
BrianF-Jax,
Wal-Mart sells 100 shell boxes of Federal 1 1/8 ounce #7 1/2 or #8 shot 3 dram eq. for around 16 bucks. This should work fine for clays as well, at least, it's what I use. Probably just the thing your looking for. A little heavier shot than Dave recommended, but I haven't found the 1 oz anywhere close to that price.
Eric

------------------
Formerly Puddle Pirate.
Teach a kid to shoot.
It annoys the antis.

[This message has been edited by Eric of IN (edited June 23, 2000).]