PDA

View Full Version : Question For the SG Instructors Here...

VictorLouis
May 22, 2000, 12:12 PM
In my LE training, I was only taught ONE way to mount the SG. That was to push it into your shoulder cup, and brace your stance to deal with the recoil in your legs. Well, the recoil impact to the shoulder is still abusive for many folks, particularly females.
I learned a different method from a man who grew up in the country and hunted a lot. Let the rubber of the recoil pad just "grab" and cling to your outer garment, instead of compressing it into your shoulder pocket. Couple that with some forward pressure on the forend. At the shot, you now have several "layers" of shock absorbtion. Your forearm tension, the built-in compression ability of the pad, and that provided by your clothing and chest muscle structure.
This is was quite a change for me, and it was contrary to the LE way that I was taught. It made a GREAT difference in my ability to shoot comfortably and for longer sessions. The downside is that your arm is not poised to rapidly assist pumping the action with the flow of he recoil. This would slow the time between shots, but control and comfort of each shot is increased, IMO.
Those of you who teach, what do you think? Have any of you experimented with this method before?

po boy
May 22, 2000, 07:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Victor
sounds like its worth trying my next trip to the range...Thanks :DOriginally posted by VictorLouis:
In my LE training, I was only taught ONE way to mount the SG. That was to push it into your shoulder cup, and brace your stance to deal with the recoil in your legs. Well, the recoil impact to the shoulder is still abusive for many folks, particularly females.
I learned a different method from a man who grew up in the country and hunted a lot. Let the rubber of the recoil pad just "grab" and cling to your outer garment, instead of compressing it into your shoulder pocket. Couple that with some forward pressure on the forend. At the shot, you now have several "layers" of shock absorbtion. Your forearm tension, the built-in compression ability of the pad, and that provided by your clothing and chest muscle structure.
This is was quite a change for me, and it was contrary to the LE way that I was taught. It made a GREAT difference in my ability to shoot comfortably and for longer sessions. The downside is that your arm is not poised to rapidly assist pumping the action with the flow of he recoil. This would slow the time between shots, but control and comfort of each shot is increased, IMO.
Those of you who teach, what do you think? Have any of you experimented with this method before?
[/quote]

Tactical Response
May 22, 2000, 10:03 PM
Victor,

I (and others) teach a similar shotgun shooting style. I teach it to be used in non-conventional shooting positions (like high and low angles and other awkward positions). The shooter pulls inward with the off hand and pushes outward with the strong hand. It works well in it's intended role. It is a slow position as you stated. I don't train it for use it as you use it but if it works........

------------------
1* James Yeager
M.C.L.M.M.
Tactical Response
http://jump.to/defense

Dave McC
May 23, 2000, 05:31 AM
Many of the rookies I taught were distinctly unmotivated to learn to use the shotgun correctly. Or anything else that required dedication, work or thought, for that matter. So,we evolved a form that worked for less than optimum,heck,less than average, tyros. I just wrote it out on another thread, but here it is and sorry for the redundancy.

Stand facing the target. Mount the shotgun as you take a step towards the target with the leg on the same side as your forward hand.Bend the knee on that leg strongly so you're leaning into the weapon. Pull the butt into your shoulder cup, keeping your trigger hand elbow up to help form the cup.Cheek the piece strongly and fire as directed.