PDA

View Full Version : Rear site keeps getting loose on my 1911

Tainted
April 7, 2002, 12:18 PM
Hi I have a Springfield Ultra Compact .45. With some novak lowprofile combat sites on it. Twice already I have shot about 100-150 rounds and the rear site nearly falls off. I try to get it astight as I can but it still comes loose. What can I use to secure it? I was thinking some lock tight but they have a few different kinds and I was not sure which to get. I accually switched back to carrying my USP instead. I could be pretty lame to need to shoot some BG and have the rear site fall off the gun.:eek: Yesterday I kept shooting with out the site for a spell but it sure is a lot more fun with it on there.:(

4V50 Gary
April 7, 2002, 12:27 PM
We use to stipple the surface beneath the sight with a staking punch and when the sight was installed, it was a tighter fit.

stans
April 7, 2002, 01:45 PM
Red Locktite works well, just be sure to remove all traces of lubricant from the threads before placing the Locktite.

C.R.Sam
April 7, 2002, 01:53 PM
I like 4V50 Gary's method.
Glad you shot it without the rear sight. Not hard to get good combat accuracy up close with front sight only.:D

Sam

Jason280
April 11, 2002, 07:45 AM
I've seen this with a few Kimbers. The easiest way to fix it is to mount your rear sigt, remove the allen screw, and mark the slide with a center punch (where the screw contacts the slide). Then, drill a small dimple in the slide, where you marked with the center punch, so that the allen screw will actually fit in to the dimple when fully seated. Simply fit your rear sight in, loc-tite the screw, and it should stay secure. Good luck!