PDA

View Full Version : Marlin Model 60 Not Extracting

RBK
March 31, 2002, 09:22 PM
I have a model 60 22lr that loads and fires great but, is very weak on extraction. So weak that the unejected casing causes a jam and the next cartridge will not feed into the chamber. Can anybody tell me about tearing this rascal down and what parts I would need to replace?
Thanks a bunch.

James K
March 31, 2002, 10:59 PM
Hi, RBK,

Nothing personal, but about 99.9 percent of the troubles with that rifle are due to lack of cleaning. Remove the bolt and clean it thoroughly, especially under and around the extractors. Clean the whole gun at the same time.

Then check out the extractors. If they look OK, the cleaning should be enough, so try the gun. If either extractor is broken or appears bent, you can replace it. Try www.gunpartscorp.com for the parts. I would get new extractor springs as well.

P.S. We used to clean those in a sonic gunk tank, like some service stations and transmission repair places use. We removed the stock, locked back the bolt and threw the whole gun in. Worked wonders.

Jim

James K
April 2, 2002, 10:12 PM
I am making this a separate post, just to say that I meant to mention Gun Scrubber and see I didn't. Gun Scrubber is good for this sort of cleaning, just remember to oil the gun afterwards because GS takes off ALL the oil, leaving the gun vulnerable to rust and wear.

Jim

Cheapo
April 3, 2002, 08:12 PM
Many .22s' ejectors are not exactly flat on the engagement surface--should be perpendicular with the bore line.

A little small file work or a diamond stone can usually do the trick in about five minutes. Also check the forward angle to make sure the barrel's extractor notch surface is NOT camming the ejector away from the rim. Same type of fix.

End result is often a "sharper" corner on the extractor's inside faces.

Remove the action. Drop the hammer. IIRC, you take out two screws to release the fire control system from the receiver. Be careful that you don't let the two sides fly apart and release all the parts everywhere!

To get the bolt out, you'll need to fiddle with the handle. It will slide out or push in, perhaps at some special location in the travel stroke. You might need to tip it up to disengage the back notch from the bolt itself. Only then will you get the bolt out and be able to drive out the pins holding the extractor in the bolt.

Sorry I can't remember more details. It CAN be done without bending/breaking/scratching anything.