PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Mark 1 problems

imspectre
March 27, 2002, 03:05 PM
Does anybody know what it would cost to have a Ruger Mark 1 redone??

I got it kind of as a hand-me-down and it would sometimes fail to fire, and double feed.:(
An in depth cleaning followed by soaking, recleaning, and light oiling seems to have cured the failure to fire, but the gun still experiences stovepipeing jams.
Sometimes it will go for a dozen clips, sometimes only a couple of shots

There is a piece that is a little loose in the tube of the receiver, right above the magazine well. it looks like a slightly loose rivet is holding it on. I think the bolt sticks a little on this piece as it closes, causing the jam. Is this piece a guide of some sort?

Anyway, the backstrap and frontstrap have no bluing left, and are a little pitted, with a mingling of dull steel and light rust.

I intend on buying a new Mark 2 or maybe a 22 revolver anyway, but I would like to have this gun back in good shape also.
When it works right, it is much more accurate than I am, plus I like the fact that it is still functional (mostly) for being old.

Does Ruger charge a fee to trace the manufacture dates and such for their guns? I would like to know exactly how old it is
(5 digit serial number)

I appreciate any info out there, I'm pretty new to this forum, but it seems to hold a wealth of knowledge

James K
March 27, 2002, 11:13 PM
Your piece with the "slightly loose rivet" sounds like the ejector; it should not be loose. The feeding problems sound like a magazine problem.

I suggest you call Ruger and ask them how much they will charge to restore the pistol to factory standard and reblue. Quite often, companies will do this at a quite low price to keep customers happy. You can get them to research the gun at the same time.

Jim