PDA

View Full Version : sawed down shotgun and rifle barrels

cpileri
February 11, 2002, 10:48 AM
I occasionally read about, some modern and some nostalgic good ol' days articles, about someone who has made a brush gun or a HD out of a standard length barrel by cutting it down to some shorter length.
Typically 18-20" for shotguns, maybe 22-24 for rifles, or less if the author was describing a homemade carbine.
How does one go about this without throwing off the accuracy of the barrel (by wrecking the crowning on the muzzle)?
I can just see someone taking a hacksaw to the rifle!

Maybe if they cut it nice and perpendicular to the long axis of the bbl, then used a dremel tool to polish off all the rough spots on the bore it could work. But I dunno.

Is there an "at home" method that is any good?

Or are these guys condemning their shortened masterpieces to short-range work only?
Carl

4 Eyed Six Shooter
February 11, 2002, 11:30 AM
Brownells makes a nice little tool for crowning barrels that would work like a charm for you. Get the 11 degree cutter for the rifle and the facing cutter for the shotgun. Make sure to keep them about one half inch over legal to allow for the metal removed with the facing tool. Both of these tools can be turned with a power drill, no lathe is needed. Just cut the barrels with a sharp hack saw and then face. Good Shooting, John K
(www.brownells.com)

cpileri
February 11, 2002, 11:44 AM
i TOOK A LOOK AND THERE ARE SEVERAL DIAMETER BUSHINGS THAT COME WITH EACH GAUGE. (sorry abt the all caps) What's the bushing for, and what's the difference which one is used?

I doubt i'll have any reason to do it myself (until I retire to my gunsmithing business, that is) :)
But thank you for the info!
Carl

dfaugh
February 12, 2002, 09:30 PM
Not sure what you mean by "bushings"....My tool has different pilots , for different calibers..For example I have a 8mm for my mausers, a .311 for Russians, and .308 for 30 calibers...And, a cutting head that first cuts the barrel perpendicular to the bore, before the actual crowning cutting tool...