PDA

View Full Version : Rules and regs for hunting feral hogs in Florida

12-34hom
February 2, 2002, 01:17 AM
What does it cost to hunt these critters?

Are they considered Varmints by the state of Florida?

Any links provided would be great!!

12-34hom.

Art Eatman
February 2, 2002, 11:01 AM
Hey, get Googled! :)

The State of Florida has a website.

I believe the official name is Florida Fish and Game Commission, but I won't swear to that.

I think, but don't remember, that no seasons or limits apply to hogs. The state might require a general-type hunting license. I know that Florida does sell a short-term deer license that's not too expensive--but it's been several years since I hunted down there.

Mostly, it's up to the landowner about how many you can shoot...

Art

Bud Helms
February 2, 2002, 05:50 PM
I think it's still the Florida Freshwater Fish and Game Comission.

MeekAndMild
February 2, 2002, 10:33 PM
Cost?

Lots of websites. Try www.google.com and enter hog +hunting + Florida. Lots of commercial hunts start at $150-200 per day. Others charge $1 a pound.

Hanging around the feed stores a while and anyone who doesn't have two heads or leprosy should be able to link up with a farmer who'd let him shoot for free or for meat shares just about anywhere on the gulf coast. Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, makes no matter.

Might do a search on timber and paper companies or look them up in a local phone book. They have thousands of acres of land and many will sell hunting permits. Who knows, once they find out you're a hog hunter they might kiss your feet when you apply for the permit? :p

swampgator
February 7, 2002, 07:11 PM
I think it's still the Florida Freshwater Fish and Game Comission.

Not So!

We became the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission July 1999 as a result of a Florida Constitutional Amendment.

The old agency was the Florida Game and Freshwater Fish Commission, btw.

I have the distinction of being the first "new" employee hired by the agency! My start date was 2 July 99.

Our website http://www.floridaconservation.org//

In Florida hogs are considered domestic livestock, just like cows and chickens. As such they are considered the property of the landowner on which they are found. As someone stated previously most farmers would gladly let you hunt them.

There are specific rules pertaining to the individual management areas throughout the state, follow the link above.

Meek
Might do a search on timber and paper companies or look them up in a local phone book. They have thousands of acres of land and many will sell hunting permits. Who knows, once they find out you're a hog hunter they might kiss your feet when you apply for the permit?

Actually most of the land that comprise the Management areas in N. Florida are Timber Company property. The exceptions being a the National Forests and state Forests. The Commission "leases" these areas directly from the timber companies, and they are designated either Type 1 or Type 2 WMAs. The difference being a T1 only requires a valid WMA area stamp (during non-quota periods), while in a T2 the hunter is actually paying for the use directly to the company with the Commission only facilitating the transaction (collecting the fee, anywhere from $95 to $150 and issuing the permit). T2's rarely fill up due to the increased fee and it could be argued offer a greater opprotunity.

If planning to come keep in mind that hogs are everywhere and all environments. The Gulf Coast in Levy, Citrus and Hernando Counties has many good areas to hunt. Most of the Guides however are based in the South part of the state. As with everything thorough research is probably your best bet!

Good Luck,
Gator

12-34hom
February 8, 2002, 04:46 AM
Thank you one and all for your replies.

12-34hom.

swampgator
February 8, 2002, 08:54 PM
Feel free to email with any questions. I'm in the North Central part of the state. Lots of good areas to hunt, so if you need anything holler!

12-34hom
February 9, 2002, 05:19 AM
Thanks, will do....:)

12-34hom. oink.

Bud Helms
February 9, 2002, 08:53 AM
Ha! Okay. 'Been gone from FL since '87. Guess you just volunteered to be the FL game laws expert for 13,000 of us! :D Thanks for the correction.

BTW, what's the deal on saltwater fishing licenses? 3 mile limit? Fishing from shore? Or from floating vessels too?

swampgator
February 9, 2002, 08:09 PM
Florida laws...

Okay, no problem with FL questions, it's what I do for a living anyway.

Ref Saltwater License

You (Fl residents) do not need a license if:

1. under 16
2. fishing from land or a structure affixed to land: pier, bridge, dock, floating dock, jetty or other similiar structure.
3. Fishing from a for-hire vessel: guide, charter, party boat, that has a valid vessel license.
4. Hold a valid Florida Saltwater Products License (comm lic)
5. Fl resident over 65
6. Military on Leave
7. Any person accepted by Children and Family Services for developmental services
8. A non-resident fishing from a pier that has a valid pier saltwater fishing license
9.Fishing from a boat that has a valid recreation vessel fishing license.
10. A Florida resident who is fishing for mullet in fresh water- with a valid fresh water fishing license.
11. A Florida resident fishing for saltwater fish in fresh water from land or structure affixed to land.

Note: the "land" definition for #2 allows for wading (sp).

So if in a boat you need one. To the best of my knowledge there is no mile limit to Florida's waters. WE RULE IT ALL! :D Actually we do water patrol out quite a ways out, over 70 miles IIRC (Key West to Dry Tortugas).

So it would be hard to convince one of our officers (Game Wardens and Marine Patrolmen no longer exist, just State LE officers) that they were caught in waters where Florida rules did not apply.

Gator

Bud Helms
February 9, 2002, 08:30 PM
'Sure have been a lot of changes.

swampgator
February 9, 2002, 10:12 PM
Had a lot to do with it but the Saltwater license idea predates it.

Historically the Game Commission (Old GFC) was solely supported by license sales (hunting/freshwater fish). ALL the money came from it.

The Marine Patrol (Old FMP) was a cabinet agency (belonging to State Dept of Environ Protection) and got money its from legislators.

Apparently some legislators thought it would be a good idea to provide them more money with license sales. Which if you think about actually is better, a direct tax only on users, providing no other tax money is used to support it (the agency) which is not the case.

But personally it doesn't make much difference to me, $13.50 isn't too much to pay for a years worth of legal fishing. Certainly less than my last trip to the tackle shop! :D

Gator

ArcticBadger76
August 10, 2005, 09:51 PM
To the best of my knowledge, the rules of hunting FL feral swine are thus: kill em on your own property or on another's property with permission. In fact, you are encouraged to do so. And you may carry out a hog massacre utilizing any means you wish---bow, shotgun, air rifle, AR, AK, claymores (provided they are legally obtained and detonated), whatever. Since they are not game, a hunting license should not be required.

Clayfish
August 12, 2005, 10:01 AM
instead of florida come just alittle north to south georgia. We've got lots of hogs. There's a guide not far from me that recently killed a 1200 lb feral hog. It ended up on cnn and they named hogzilla. All you have to have is a general hunting license. there's no limit or season.

impact
August 12, 2005, 09:28 PM
be carefull what you say MeekAndMild! Belive or not there are some counties in Texas that have a season on hogs. :eek:. The places where I hunt are not those counties :) happy me!

Mannlicher
August 13, 2005, 06:53 AM
Feral hogs have indeed become a blight. Finding a place to hunt them though, can feed a family in good style :)

SwampGator, I think I will be moving back up before too long. Save a place for me at the table :)

ArcticBadger76
August 13, 2005, 08:57 PM
1200 lbs???!!!

Clayfish
August 16, 2005, 11:41 AM
1200 lbs???!!!

check it out.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5540839?GT1=4244